As much as dozens of companies and developers are bent on creating maps and GPS navigation applications for Android, such as Waze, Sygic or TomTom, Google Maps is still the star app to move around the world without losing, as if it were a compass .
By downloading the APK of this application to your smartphone or tablet you will have the perfect tool for your travels, with the best and fastest routes to reach your destination, the estimated time to complete the journey, voice prompts step by step, information about Traffic and alerts in real time, and much more.
GPS navigation and leisure information, all in one.
You ‘ll also find the number of inhabitants and the flat coordinates map to get compared to the current location of the city. Get to that site on foot or in urban transport, and information of interest such as schedules and reviews of people who have already been there.
So, what exactly is this application for? As for absolutely everything relating to locations, GPS locations, routes and indications. That you want to know where they crucified Jesus Christ? A quick search on the app will take you to explore the vicinity of Mount Golgotha in Jerusalem. What pique your curiosity to know how is the neighborhood of Madrid where elrubius lives? Nothing else, another simple search and with a little luck until you can visit it virtually with Street View. Do you need to know how to get to a lost street in the middle of Murcia? You look for it, you select the means of transport to use and you simply follow the indications. But beware, you can use it for this and much more:
- Find your exact location on the map to know where you are.
- Function Eat and drink near here to receive recommendations for breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks or a coffee.
- Discover restaurants, bars, gas stations or ATMs near you.
- Direct access to information of interest of all these premises with valuations of other users.
- Know the peak times and the best moments of the day to visit tourist attractions.
- Possibility to access a history with all the sites and locations you have searched from your mobile.
- Search for specific places, neighborhoods or cities by name.
- Street View function to walk on the street with interior images of restaurants, shops, museums and famous places.
- Detailed directions to travel to anywhere whether by car, public transport, cycling or walking.
- Navigation step by step with voice instructions so you do not have to take your eyes off the road.
- Very precise time estimates to know how much to reach your destination.
- Possibility to alternate between the traditional view and the satellite view.
- Receive recommendations of alternative routes and updated information on the state of traffic during your journey.
- Set route options to avoid freeways, tolls or even ferries.
- Function Your Sites to establish common locations that you usually visit as your home, your work, your school, etc.
- Download maps for offline browsing when you do not have an Internet connection.
Set the size of the map to be downloaded by making the area to be covered larger or smaller.
How to use Google Maps without an Internet connection?
After reading about all the advantages of this application you surely want to use it when you are on vacation abroad to be able to handle perfectly for cities that you do not know too well. But can it be used offline? Of course, you do not need the Internet or incur roaming charges if you prepare the Google map application in advance to operate without access to a Wi-Fi network or data network.
- Step 1. Open the application on your smartphone or tablet, making sure you have a connection (we recommend wifi because you’ll end up downloading many megabytes).
- Step 2. Enter the name of the city, region or country you are going to visit and from which you need to download the maps for offline viewing.
- Step 3. Click on the place name that now appears in the bottom bar of the application.
- Step 4. You will be presented with a new page with a series of options like Save, Share or Download. Clicking on the third option will download the map to your device.
- Step 5. Select the size of the area to be downloaded. The larger the area, the more the map will weigh.
- Step 6. To use offline maps, use the app as usual. If it detects that you are without Internet or the connection is slow, it will pull maps saved on your phone.
Remember that if you use this offline mode you will be able to search for locations and get routes, but you will only be shown driving directions, never by public transport or on foot, nor will you receive any alternative route recommendations or current traffic information. The application is very good, but it does not work miracles.
What’s New in the Latest Version
- Solution of various bugs.
Requirements and additional information:
- The version of the application as well as that of the operating system and the space required depend on the device in which it is installed.
- For some functions, you need to register with the Google services user account.
- Installing the app using the APK file requires the activation of the “Unknown sources” option under Settings> Applications.